Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Middle Ages

I will turn 50 in about 6 months. I'm not sure what to think of it because, when I was a kid 50 was old. I don't feel old at all. Sure, my bones and joints feel a little stiffer, my nights are shorter, and my doctor appointments are becoming more frequent but inside I still feel like the same young dreamer I was 25 years ago. It's a very bizarre phenomenon, this thing we call aging. When I was very young, I noticed each year seemed to pass quicker than the one before it. A work friend and I began saying "Happy Thursday" to each other years ago and now it seems like we say it every day. Time is a very weird thing. Mathematically, I like to think each unit of time we experience is diminished as we progress through it. For instance, if you are 5 years old, the last year was 1/5 of your life, but the next year will only be 1/6 of your life, and so on. So I'm about to be living 1/50 of my life (so far). But it is still another year. And in some ways, each day is longer than they were since I sleep less now. And suddenly I am struck by the irony that I am passing precious time by thinking about time passing. Haha. 

Whatever we are, whatever this life is, I like to try to enjoy it and try to help those around me do the same. Growing up is fun sometimes, I'm hoping that growing old will be fun too. My wife and I laugh about our bodies falling apart and our brains not working like they used to. I crack jokes about not being able to eat cheese much anymore, even though I miss it. She likes to say that bodies are dumb, we should get new ones if we're going to be living this long. It's the laughter that is enjoyable. So here I am, laughing at you, Middle Age. I think we are going to get along just fine. As long as my body lets me keep drinking tons of coffee (don't take away my coffee like you did my cheese, you bastard!). 

Speaking of coffee, it's almost 6 am. Time to go make some... 

Have a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment